Non Monogamous Meaning Explained!
Please raise your hand if you are confused about the non monogamous meaning of romantic relationships.
When asked about what non monogamous means, there are a variety of responses.
In general, a non monogamous relationship means that individuals, single or within a couple, are able to love and / or connect sexually with more than one person.
There are various types of non monogamous relationships with various meanings, and it’s important to know what they mean because non monogamous romantic relationships are complicated.
There are a variety of non monogamous meaning definitions to learn:
- Monogamish – (brought to you by Dan Savage) which means mostly monogamous with some wiggle room in terms of their fidelity. So basically, it means monogamous with exceptions.
- Polyamory – more than one committed or love based relationship. This is also called “poly” or “polyam” in the community.
- Solo-Poly – more than one committed relationship with no hierarchy or primaries assigned. Primary relationship would be with oneself.
- Kinky Play Partners – partners agreeing to a negotiated commitment of time, service, and an exchange of some sort. It can be once, yet often this term means it is ongoing. This arrangement can be based on love, friendship, and / or shared interest in some type of kink.
- Intentional Community – known as “communes” at times. A planned community designed to have a degree of cohesion and teamwork, where they share resources. This design may include non-monogamous relationship structures where individuals sleep in different bedrooms on different nights of the week.
What Do These Have In Common?
Non monogamous meaning to relationships includes communicating openly and honestly with all partner(s), even if you would rather avoid it.
Life Coaching and Therapy (LCAT) is a relationship coaching and sex therapy practice that transforms our clients lives through our flexible, multi-technique approach and pleasure-skills training provided by systemically-trained and licensed therapists!
Our team of compassionate, licensed therapists and certified sex therapists help Millennials and Baby Boomers alike who visit us for a variety of relationship, intimacy and sex problems.
LCAT provides on-site appointments, as well as video chat and text therapy programs.
Learn more about how LCAT can help improve your life at What We Do.